Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Adventures in Urine

This has been an interesting week for me. It’s been a roller-coaster ride, emotionally. My daughter has been sick and, due to a compromised urinalysis, we were in and out of the hospital for a couple of days. The “stick test” at the doctor’s office kept showing elevated glucose levels, but the battery of blood tests and additional urine tests at the hospitals read normal. We ended up taking her to Primary Children’s Hospital, the top pediatric hospital in the area. After several hours of various tests, they concluded that she had intestinal flu and sent us home. That certainly distracted me from school a bit, but I’m doing my best to get back into the swing of it.

One highlight for me though was in my biology lab. We had another teacher substituting, and we were doing experiments with enzymes under various conditions, including pH. One group of students was having difficulty with some of the pH tests, particular the acidic ones. I made the off-hand comment that we do the acid test if someone wanted to go pee in a cup. You know; uric acid and all. The sub got a weird look on her face and said, “That might be interesting. I’ll be back.”

I can’t believe it. I never thought I’d be able to say that I got a professor to go pee.

No comments: