Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Where’s my health?

It occurred to me the other day that I’m a hypocrite. Really. I’m big into preventive medicine, and so on, but I don’t practice it. I can’t even remember the last time I seriously exercised. It really stinks. I’m even getting winded walked down to the convenience store to get a soda.

The fact that I drink way too much soda doesn’t help either.

I took a free test over at Real Age and it scared me. Here I am, forty years old, but based on my habits and lifestyle I’m really 55.

Trust me. That sucks.

I can’t say it isn’t true, either. I feel 55 some days. The trouble is I don’t know that it scared me enough to overcome the “inertia of slacking” that I’ve gathered around myself.

So I started wondering, where did my health and vitality go? In my twenties I used to work out up to two hours a day doing marital arts. I ate good foods and took longs walks. I enjoyed my life and the feelings of youth and good health.

Now I’m doing good to walk 100 yards and not get winded. I eat too much and I sit in front of a computer or TV screen for 8+ hours a day. I’m so busy at work on some days that I barely have time for the bathroom. Maybe I should install a porta-potty in my cubicle.

Where did it all go?

Wait. I think I just found the answer. It didn’t go anywhere. I gave it away.

No comments: