Thursday, May 24, 2007

Wherever You Go

My friend Mark Hanen, at Mo' Boy blog, mentioned a tool he'd come across (from yet another blogger) that could create a map of all the states that you've visited in the U.S. I had traveled a bit while I was in the military, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here’s mine.




Wow. I didn't expect to see that much of the country covered. Several of them, admittedly, I didn't spend much time in. I was really just traveling through them by train. Still, I got to see a lot of the country as I rode by.

One thing I learned from my travels is that every place is different. I know that sounds really lame but, they all have their own forms of beauty, and ugliness, in landscape, buildings, people, and culture.

Many times I’ve heard people tell me, "Oh, I hate this place because . . ." and then they list something that annoys them, "Living in [some other place] is so much better than living here."

I usually keep quiet (I’ve quit asking why they don’t move), but I can't help thinking, "Every place has good things and bad things about it. I think the secret is to find the good things, and make sure you take time to enjoy them."

No comments: